Gamecity Hamburg is the contact for prototype funding in Hamburg – from the first consultation appointment to the transfer of the grant.
The application phase for the second funding round in 2021 runs from August 30 to October 18.
The funding supports developers and game studios (natural and legal persons) to create a prototype for digital games. The non-repayable funds will be granted with a maximum of 80,000 euros and a maximum of 80 percent of the eligible costs.
August 30 - October 18Now
The application phase runs from August 30 to October 18, 2021. You find all information for the application here. A consultation appointment is mandatory and recommended at least two weeks before the submission date to prepare applicants in the best possible way. Find information about how to schedule a consultation appointment and what to prepare here.
September 9 at 4 pm
Watch Workshop now
Want to apply for Prototype Funding? Watch the video of the workshop "Prototype Funding Insights: Dos and Don'ts for your application" for insights and a Q&A round with Dennis Schoubye, project lead at Gamecity Hamburg.
October 18 at 11:59 pm
Only applications that are complete (online application form + documents to be submitted in original) by October 18 at 11:59 pm. will be considered for the award. All applicants are advised to submit their documents at the latest one week before the deadline to allow for corrections.
The awarding committee decides which applicants are invited to pitch.
During ten-minute pitches, applicants present their projects to the awarding committee with a pitch deck and the committee has the opportunity for questions.
The purpose of funding is to develop marketable prototypes of digital games. For the purposes of these guidelines, digital games are interactive electronic works, i.e. software that is based on a game idea, game rules and game objectives, responds to user input, generates moving image content, serves educational or entertainment purposes, and is intended for publication, in particular, computer and video games (Games). Not eligible for funding are digital games that violate the constitution or applicable law and contain content that glorifies violence, incites hatred, pornography or racism.
Developers and developer communities (natural and legal persons), as well as small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) that are already resident in Hamburg or can prove that they will relocate their headquarters to Hamburg or open a branch or business premises in Hamburg upon receipt of funding, are eligible to apply. The prerequisite for payment of the first instalment is the actual existence of a business premises in Hamburg. For the purposes of these guidelines, an SME is defined as an enterprise which, at the time of application, employs fewer than 250 persons and whose turnover in the preceding year did not exceed 50 million euros. Also, the applying company must not be owned as to 25 percent or more of the capital or the voting rights by one or more enterprises that do not meet the definition of an SME.
Applicants can apply one more time with the same project after receiving a rejection for funding of the said project. A second application should only be considered if there has been significant progress in the planning process of the project or other aspects of the applicants.
Applicants can submit new projects in different funding rounds as long as they do not exceed the de-minimis-defined maximum funding of 200,000 euros within three years.
- The applicant specifies in the application, in which state of development the project is. Generally, projects can be submitted as long as there is only a pitch deck and a description of the project, if they are still in the concept phase or if there is a first playable demo.
- Projects for which prototype development has already begun are not eligible.
- Prior experience in game development is an indispensable prerequisite for developing a prototype with market opportunities.
- The precondition is always that the applicant is already based in Hamburg or can prove that they will relocate their residence to Hamburg or open a subsidiary or branch establishment in Hamburg upon being granted funding.
- A competition analysis and exploitation strategy are required in order to assess the market potential.
- The awarding of funding is based on various criteria such as the promotion of young talent, the team, market potential, and location effect, to which the applicant should refer in his application.
A consultation appointment with Gamecity Hamburg is mandatory before application. Before making an appointment, it is essential that the applicant has carefully read the guidelines for funding prototypes, the FAQ and the application form (https://airtable.com/shroMllWsjRxSk0FC). The following information from the applicant is also required when making an appointment by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Short project outline (max. half a page of text or a slide)
- Aimed funding amount for the project / planned proof of personal contribution
- Concrete questions regarding the application / funding of the project
Where can I find the online application form for prototype funding? What information and templates do I need for the application? You can find all information regarding the application process on our "Apply now" page.